Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Milestones for starting weight-loss & getting fit

Most people know about the New Years resolution. "This year I am going to 1) exercise 2) eat better 3) lose weight..." I suppose many of us have made that resolution year after year. And I am sure many of us have also broken it within a week (day?) or two.

People are 'calendar-centric'. In other words, we are based in time and the calendar becomes our guide (or can be a beastly master...but that is a blog entry for another day). I know in one way I am out of sorts because i started this round of P90X as soon as I came back from vacation. My first day was a Wednesday. While most others start on a Monday and tweet, blog, and Facebook post "today is Thursday - Yoga X day", my Thursday is Plyo day.

Others wait to start or re-start a diet/fitness routine as a new month begins.

But in addition to New Years Resolutions there are other milestone dates or occasions that either call people to start then, or looking forward to an event they plan their 90 or so days out to begin. I know it was in my head that starting right away after returning from vacation would have me finish P90X by Easter. Others start in the late winter in the hopes of getting in shape by summer and swimsuit season. Yet others use the beginning of Lent to not only "give something up" like sweets, but to take on the discipline of diet and exercise. Perhaps a cruise/school reunion/wedding are in your future and become a target date.

Recently I was listening in on the National Coaches Call with Beachbody CEO Carl Daikeler and he noted that many people grossly over-indulge Super Bowl weekend, and the week(s) following the Super Bowl are a prime time for people to be looking for the opportunity to begin a program.

This really rang a bell for me. In 2003 it was Super Bowl weekend that inspired me to begin my first real push to fitness, losing weight and running. Unfortunately this got derailed with I broke my ankle (running) and became quite slovenly afterwards, putting weight back on.

It was during this later time period that I bought my first Beachbody product - Power 90. Used it occasionally (actually sparingly) over the next few years. Only got really serious again after getting P90X...but that is a blog post for another day.

Anyway - one of those milestones are coming up this weekend. Perhaps a take off on a bible quote might be appropriate..."Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we die(t)." But more than just diet - we need to transform our lives.

If you need advice and encouragement in choosing a fitness program, or getting on track (whether it be the Super Bowl or on any day), I can help! either click on an ad to the right, or check out my Independent Team Beachbody Coach page