Thursday, February 10, 2011

Recovery Week

This week is known in P90X as recovery week, but I have another name for it. I call it "that darn week I have to do YogaX twice".

The big idea with P90X is what Tony Horton has dubbed "Muscle Confusion". The idea is that you work for three weeks a set series of workouts so your muscles begin to adapt. In baseball we call this part Muscle Memory. You take HUNDREDS of swings of the bat in practice, perfect swings hopefully, so that in the game your muscles know exactly what to do (and why hitters, when they get into a slump, have such a hard time adjusting their swing - they have muscle memory to undo).

Then, after three weeks of the series you mix it up by moving away from the heavy lifting, pushing, and pulling you have been doing and mixing up the week with a couple of KenpoX, YogaX, and something unpleasant called Core Synergetics.

I put up with this week. Not a fan of YogaX (okay - honestly...I am a wimp and am not good at it AND I don't like how long it is). And Core Synergetics is not one of my better ones either.

But next week I begin Phase 2 and we get a new set of workouts for the arms/chest/back area. And I really like all those and Plyometrics.

The muscles, with these changes, aren't allowed to plateau, but are required to adapt to the new work and therefore grow bigger. The 'confusion' is actually good for increasing fitness.

Today is a rest day. Tomorrow morning I get back at it...with Yoga X!