Friday, September 9, 2011

INSANITY results, and a new challenge

As of Saturday I am 'finished' with INSANITY. Overall I have liked the workout program, but not always the workouts themselves while doing them. I have surprised myself that with all the jumping I haven't had more problems with my knees and ankles. And I was also surprised by the amount of upper body work in the form of all sorts of push ups of varying types. Nowhere near the upper body work in P90X, but more than I thought.

The results? Since July I have lost over 35lbs. A pretty good start. I have a ways to go yet, but am hopeful.

The biggest change for me has been getting the eating in line. Having an eating plan and sticking to it has been the key, which I have done extremely well since the end of July. Eat well and feel better about workout out. Work outs go well, motivated to eat well. Rather than living a vicious circle of failure it is replaced with a positive reinforcing circle of progress.

So what is next? I am due a sabbatical from work but instead we are just taking a 3 week vacation out west. It will involve air flight, multi-state driving, and staying in some hotels, at family's house, and a cruise ship.

The challenge is to keep the positive circle going. It is important to have an eating plan includes being flexible about location and content while traveling but also knowing that portion control and individual food choices can be done well. And of course the nonnegotiable is EXERCISE.

We are packing INSANITY and ASYLUM dvd's, workout bands, and of course running shoes for those days playing the dvd's will not be convenient. Jennifer is picking up a tiny dvd player today to pack so not having a player won't be an excuse. And hotels and the cruise ship and workout rooms.

Last time I took a cruise I lost weight! I took the stairs instead of the elevator most of the time, worked out in the weight room, and watched my food intake. I am making it a personal challenge that in the 3 weeks I am away I will lose 10lbs. It is 3.3 pounds a week, upper end of what is considered a healthy weekly weight loss, and I am pushing for upper end!

We leave Monday and with smart phones and an iPad, I will keep you up to date as we go.