Friday, November 7, 2008

shoulder news

I went to the orthopedist Tuesday.
The x-rays showed either some calcification or arthritis.
Either way, he said I have too much strength for it to be a tear (at least of any consequence).

He basically did the old line, "Hey doc - it hurts when I do this". "Then don't do it"......
For 6 weeks no throwing, no lifting heavy things over my head, no swimming freestyle, etc.
He gave me some bands and some exercises to do with them, keeping the arms below the shoulder to get some blood flowing into it for healing. He also advised icing it at least once, if not twice a day.
If after 6 weeks there is no improvement, we will try shots, before going to surgery.

On Thursday I did get in the pool with my swimming group. I purposely tanked my relay race since I couldn't really swim. In the game afterwards I stayed in shallow water and did get off two shots, making one.

Today I did the Cardio/Sweat video without the yoga (too much pressure on the shoulders), and did 100 reps of abs. The 'punching' part I had to modify, since doing the cross and uppercut with the left arm was too much pressure on the shoulder.

I then did the simple band exercises.

Now I am sitting here typing, right afterwards, with ice on the shoulder as advised.

FYI - yesterday and today have been my only workouts so far this week. It hasn't been a good week for input or output. But so far today.....